Important Home Buying Factors
Home buying can be very stressful, so here are a few tips to factor in.
What is the most important thing you look for in a home when you are buying?
When we are buying a new home, we have a long laundry list of things we want it to have already. That list can be different for each family, but these are the top things to look for. Try to make sure the home you pick is made to your family’s needs and lifestyle.
… Some helpful hints are listed below
- Location – Location can mean many things. A lot of people want their home to be of decent proximity to their job. We all know that after a long day at work, the last thing we want is a super long drive home. As well as having a home close to work, we also think about how easy it is to access other places close to the home. If you are familiar to having things close by, that would determine where you would look at for finding a new home.
- Site – Site means where your home sits on the property. Is it on a hill? Is there a view? There are a lot of homes that are being built closer and closer together now. Not many people want to look out their windows and see inside their neighbor’s home. If you have kids and/or pets, another factor would be how big the yard is.
- Neighborhood – Making sure you are buying a home in a safe neighborhood is important to many of us. Drive around at night and on weekends to scope out the neighborhood and see what it is all about. Another thing to check out in neighborhoods are how people take care of their property, is their grass mowed? Is there trash everywhere?
- Curb Appeal – When people drive by our home, we want to know they think our home is nice and clean. We also want ourselves to feel good about our home. Make sure the paint on the outside is fresh, grass is mowed, sidewalks are not dangerous.
- Size and layout – Think about your lifestyle for this one. Stick to how many bedrooms you need. If you go bigger than you need, remember that it takes more to heat and cool the home. Bills will be a lot higher.
- We all want our dream home, a lot of bedrooms with a lot of square feet. Is that kind of home practical for your family though? Think about how many kids you have, or if you will be adding to your family. Maybe you have relatives that visit a lot. Count the number of bedrooms you need and stick to that.
- Kitchen – This room seems to be the focus of a home a lot of times. If you love to cook, don’t settle for a kitchen that will not accommodate your needs. Of course, you can remodel, but that is just more money.
- Closets and Storage – Are you one who has a new outfit for every day? And matching shoes for each outfit? You could even be a big crafts person, so storage for your supplies are a necessity. In that case, you will want a bigger closet. Older homes tend to have smaller closets in them, as newer homes have bigger closets.
- Windows and Lighting – Are you the type of person who enjoys sunlight and open space? Then you will want more windows in your home. If you are a more private person, less windows would be better for you. Check out where the electrical outlets are placed, will they work for your needs?
- Finishing Touches – Think about all the things you would like to have, then put them in an order of most important. This includes hardware, fireplace, moldings, etc. When searching for your home and you have to eliminate things on your list, start from the least important first. If we can ever be of assistance please give us a call or contact us.